Saturday, February 27, 2021
No menu items!

Chelsea striker Timo Werner needs ‘a lot of work’, says Paul Merson

Werner has struggled to find his feet in the Premier League (Picture: Getty Images)

Chelsea summer signing Timo Werner requires ‘a lot work’ and ‘doesn’t look like a goalscorer’, according to Arsenal hero Paul Merson.

Werner, 25, was brought in from RB Leipzig last summer for £47.5million after netting 28 Bundesliga goals in 34 games last season.

But since his arrival at Stamford Bridge, the striker has struggled to adapt to the Premier League and recently went on a run of 14 top-flight games without finding the back of the net.

Werner ended his 14-game goal drought against Newcastle

Werner ended his 14-game goal drought against Newcastle (Picture: Getty Images)

That barren spell was finally brought to an end when the Germany international tapped in at the back post in his side’s 2-0 win over Newcastle earlier this month.

But Werner remains on five Premier League goals for the campaign, and Merson feels Thomas Tuchel has ‘a lot of work’ to do to get him firing.

‘I think there’s a lot of work to be done with this lad,’ Merson told Sky Sports.

‘I know he’s been brought in 25 years of age for all that money.

‘I watched loads of stuff with him where he’s not even near to the finished article, not even close. Times when he’ll go down the wing, he’ll literally just cross a ball and there’s no nobody in there, instead of just getting it and coming back or sizing up.

‘It seems like he’s just getting rid of the ball.

‘There’s a lot of work to be done with him at the moment, if you said to me who’s going to score the most goals I would say Tammy Abraham.

‘Tammy Abraham is a goalscorer I don’t think this lad looks like a goalscorer.’


MORE : Harry Maguire rates Thomas Tuchel’s start as Chelsea manager


MORE : Thomas Tuchel reveals the position Kai Havertz will play in his Chelsea team

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page

Chelsea FC

Source: Read Full Article

Jadon Sancho breaks Bundesliga record as Manchester United target gets goal and assist for Borussia Dortmund

Jadon Sancho brought up his 50th Bundesliga assist as the Borussia Dortmund forward starred in his side’s 3-0 win over Arminia.

The 20-year-old became the youngest player in Bundesliga history to reach that milestone as he also grabbed a goal from the penalty spot.

Getty Images – Getty

Jadon Sancho got a goal and assist in Dortmund’s win

The England international laid off the ball to teammate Mahmoud Dahoud who then fired into the back of the net at the start of the second half.

Sancho then cooly netted from the spot to make it 2-0 to Dortmund before Reinier Carvalho made it three with nine minutes to go.

He has now reached the 50 assists milestone in just 99 league games and has 36 goals to go along with that. No other players has ever reached that mark before playing 100 times.

Sancho had a relatively slow start to the campaign following the fallout of Manchester United’s failed attempts to bring him to Old Trafford.

Dortmund moved up to fifth with their win

Getty Images – Getty

Dortmund moved up to fifth with their win

Bosses at the club even put it down to the speculation surrounding his future.

Chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke claimed: “Maybe Jadon had subconsciously prepared for a move a bit.

“I believe he at least thought about it that much that he lost a bit of his ease.”

And former boss Lucien Favre added: “There was a lot of talk about Jadon in the summer, something like that can also have an influence.”

Sancho is now in red-hot form, though, as he has four goals and four assists in his last seven games in all competitions.

Source: Read Full Article

Roy Keane backed to become new Celtic manager: ‘He’s the perfect fit’

Roy Keane is looking to return to management (Getty)

Richard Dunne believes Roy Keane could be the ‘perfect fit’ for the manager’s job at Celtic.

The Scottish champions are currently looking for a new manager following Neil Lennon’s departure earlier this week.

Keane has made no secret of his desire to return to management having been out of football since he left his role as assistant manager at Nottingham Forrest in June 20919.

‘It doesn’t matter that Roy Keane hasn’t managed a team in ten years, he could still be the perfect fit for Celtic if they decided to go down that route,’ Dunne wrote in his column for Independent.ie.

‘I don’t know if it will happen or if the Celtic board already have someone in mind, but the sight of Roy in the dugout at Parkhead, going head to head with Steven Gerrard in a derby, would be brilliant to watch – two people who never held back as players and wouldn’t hold back as managers.

‘Roy is older now and he has mellowed a bit, learned a bit more, and if Celtic – or another club for that matter – decide to hire him, they are getting a Roy Keane that’s better than the one of ten years ago, having been out of the game as manager won’t detract from him at all.’

Roy Keane finished his playing career at Celtic

Roy Keane finished his playing career at Celtic in 2006 (Getty)

Keane turned down the Celtic job in 2014 after being offered the role by the club’s majority shareholder Dermot Desmond.

‘I thought about the Celtic offer. It wasn’t rocking my boat,’ Keane wrote in his autobiography The Second Half.

‘They weren’t convincing me: ‘Listen, you’re the man for us’.

‘I went to Paul Gilroy’s house. There were things I wasn’t happy with in the contract. But I know if you examined every clause too carefully, you would never sign anything.

‘I rang Dermot Desmond on the Monday and said: ‘I’m really honoured you offered me the job but I want to stay with Martin’.

‘Had Celtic shown enough in their negotiating, ‘we’ll move this, you can take that’ — a bit of give and take — I might have hesitated.

‘They just didn’t show me that they wanted me and I was happier staying in the Ireland job.

‘Working with Martin had given me back a love of the game and I’m all for showing a bit of loyalty.

‘I had only been in the job two minutes. We hadn’t played a competitive game yet.

‘I felt powerful saying: ‘No’. I felt good. But I wondered if I was making the right decision.

‘Right job, wrong time.’

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

General Sport

Source: Read Full Article

Jack Wilshere ‘lost his head’ in mass brawl as ‘punches thrown’ after Joao Pedro tackle in Bournemouth vs Watford

The Championship clash between Bournemouth and Watford descended into chaos in the closing stages with a mass brawl that saw ‘punches thrown’ and two players sent off.

The incident started following a challenge by Joao Pedro, who was given his marching orders after receiving a second yellow.

Getty Images – Getty

A mass brawl broke out at the end of Bournemouth vs Watford

Jack Wilshere and Tom Cleverly were in the thick of the action

Getty Images – Getty

Jack Wilshere and Tom Cleverly were in the thick of the action

Former Arsenal midfielder Wilshere was in the thick of the action and also was shown a second yellow as the referee lost control of the match. Both yellows were received in added time.

Commentator Alex Crook described the ugly scenes at the Vitality Stadium live on talkSPORT 2.

“It’s all kicking off now between Jack Wilshere and Tom Cleverly. There is a melee. There are heads going in and I think I saw a punch as well. It’s all getting very ugly,” Crook said.

“I said right at the start of the afternoon there was no love loss between these two and it’s spilling over.

Wilshere was one of two players sent off

Getty Images – Getty

Wilshere was one of two players sent off

“This is absolutely ridiculous. There are punches being thrown in there and there are players being dragged away. Ismaila Sarr is really animated. Dominic Solanke, wearing a face mask having been taken off, is right at the heart of it.

“Two sendings off in the second half stoppage time. Joao Pedro for what was a horror challenge and Jack Wilshere has also been shown a second yellow for his role in the melee.

“He can shake his head all he wants but he’s an experienced player and he has lost his head. He’s not the only one.”

Punches were allegedly thrown in the melee

Getty Images – Getty

Punches were allegedly thrown in the melee

Co-commentator Ray Houghton added: “There could have easily been two or three red cards shown, as you said, there were punches thrown, which wasn’t spotted by the referee or officials. 

“It was a massive brawl and both managers will not be happy with the reaction of their players.”

The game ended 1-0 to Bournemouth with Arnaut Danjuma scored the only goal of the game but it was overshadowed by the scenes in stoppage time.

Source: Read Full Article

Timo Werner opens up on ‘worst time’ in his career at Chelsea

Chelsea forward Timo Werner recently ended a 14-game goal drought (Picture: Getty)

Timo Werner is confident he will emerge from the ‘worst time’ of his career a better player after recently ending a 14-game goalscoring drought.

The summer signing from RB Leipzig made an impressive start to his Chelsea career, but he struggled to maintain his early form in front of goal and has been guilty of a string of embarrassing misses.

Werner’s wretched run of form culminated in missed penalty against Luton Town in the fourth round of the FA Cup in what ultimately proved to be Frank Lampard’s final game in charge.

His compatriot, Thomas Tuchel, has been charged with getting the best out of Chelsea’s £50million summer recruit and he has gradually begun to rebuild his shattered confidence.

The 24-year-old finally ended his miserable run in front of goal during a 2-0 win over Newcastle earlier this month and the Germany international is confident he will kick on now.

Timo Werner recently ended his goalscoring drought against Newcastle

Timo Werner recently ended his goalscoring drought against Newcastle (Picture: Getty)

He told Sky Sports: ‘The period when I didn’t score in the last month was maybe the worst time in my career.

‘I never had so long a period of time without a goal so I was very happy and glad that it ended.

‘When I look at my half year here now I think it was the best time to learn new things when you have periods of no goals you learn something about yourself.

‘You have to be patient you have to be the best Timo for the team and not the best Timo for myself and sometimes in Germany we say from bad moments you learn the most and that’s exactly what I learned the last month.’


MORE : Gary Neville praises Thomas Tuchel’s impact but warns Chelsea players will get ‘bored’ after two years


MORE : Thomas Tuchel reveals the position Kai Havertz will play in his Chelsea team

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Chelsea FC

Source: Read Full Article

Joseph Parker handed generous points win over Junior Fa to set up possible Derek Chisora clash as boxing MC announces Auckland lockdown during card

Joseph Parker defeated Junior Fa in a unanimous points victory in New Zealand to set up a potential clash with Derek Chisora.

Parker troubled his compatriot early in the fight and wobbled Fa in the third round.

Getty Images – Getty

Joseph Parker claimed victory in his first fight in a year

But the pair traded blows for the remainder of the bout with the former WBO heavyweight champion being handed some generous scores.

The judges scored the fight 119-109, 115-113 and 117-111 in a bout that was held in front of 12,000 fans in Auckland.

The fight followed an announcement by the ring MC that the city would enter a seven-day lockdown on Sunday following one positive case.

Parker is likely to face Briton Chisora next after he was initially ruled out of their scheduled clash back in October 2019 due to illness.

The 29-year-old had not fought since February 2020 with the coronavirus pandemic halting his plans.

Joseph Parker could face Dereck Chisora next

Getty Images – Getty

Joseph Parker could face Dereck Chisora next

Speaking to talkSPORT before the fight, he said: “Listen, as a fighter you want to be active and be busy. A lot of things have popped up. 2019 was a slow year for me, I had one fight.

“2020 we looked at turning it around and having more fights but everyone’s plans changed due to COVID and I only had one fight.

“The whole year off again. I think this year is a clear pathway that Eddie Hearn has mentioned and coming out of this fight victorious there’s Derek Chisora and the winner of Joyce and Usyk.”

Source: Read Full Article

Premier League LIVE: Man City beat West Ham to claim 20th straight victory as John Stones and Ruben Dias score

Saturday is GameDay on talkSPORT and we’ve got another bumper selection of Premier League fixtures for you.

Follow all the action via the radio player below or through our live blog…

LIVE ON TALKSPORT

  • Manchester City vs West Ham 
  • Bournemouth vs Watford
  • Leeds vs Aston Villa
  • Newcastle vs Wolves

Source: Read Full Article

Harry Maguire rates Thomas Tuchel’s start as Chelsea manager

Harry Maguire and Mancehster United will look to end Thomas Tuchel’s unbeaten start to his Chelsea tenure (Picture: Getty)

Manchester United skipper Harry Maguire admits he has been hugely impressed with the start Thomas Tuchel has made to his Chelsea tenure but insists his side are intent on spoiling the German’s unbeaten record.

The former PSG and Borussia Dortmund boss has made an instant impact at Stamford Bridge since succeeding Frank Lampard.

Under their new boss, the Blues have re-established their top four credentials and are on the brink of reaching the Champions League quarter finals following a hugely impressive midweek win over Atletico Madrid.

Resurgent Chelsea face an acid test of their top four hopes this weekend when they entertain United at Stamford Bridge, and Maguire is confident his side are over their recent wobble and can enhance their own league position.

‘Obviously, Chelsea’s going to be a tough game but we went there last year and won and we will be looking to do that again,’ Maguire said.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

‘They are keeping their position very nicely and build up really well and not conceding many goals, so it is a good start (for them). We are hoping to spoil that.

‘It is a great reaction (to the change of manager). They are a great group of players with tons of talent and the money they spent in the summer, they are starting to gel, starting to tick, but we have got to look at ourselves, first and foremost

‘We go into the game full of confidence, full of belief. We will make sure we play to the ability of what we are capable of and go and get the three points.’

Maguire was given a rest as United eased through to the next round in Europe but is all but assured of a return to the starting eleven on Sunday.

‘Every three or four days you’ve got to be focused and mentally prepared to go and get the three points,” Maguire added.

‘You have got to be prepared to keep winning, winning, winning and finding that consistency to enable us to get to where we want to be. If you want to get to where we want to be, you have got to be consistent.’


MORE : Borussia Dortmund chief hands Manchester United Jadon Sancho and Erling Haaland transfer boost


MORE : Ilkay Gundogan explains why Manchester United transfer broke down after ‘talks’

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Manchester United

Source: Read Full Article

West Ham make Man City work but Hammers can’t stop 20th straight victory as Ruben Dias and John Stones prove unlikely heroes

In what was probably the toughest of them all, Manchester City were forced to earn their 20th straight victory by beating West Ham 2-1 at the Etihad.

Pep Guardiola’s side continue to runaway with the Premier League title as goals from defenders Ruben Dias and John Stones put them 13 points clear at the top.

AFP

Stones’ second-half goal proved the winner

However, unlike many of their other wins, this was far from a formality as Michail Antonio cancelled out Dias’ opener before half-time.

It was the first goal City have conceded at home in the Premier League since December – but it wasn’t enough for them to drop points for the first time since November.

Nonetheless, West Ham showed exactly why they have the second-most points out of any Premier League side this calendar year by matching City stride for stride, despite the defeat.

Guardiola’s side might be champions-elect, but on this evidence, West Ham’s top-four position is no fluke.

And they had an incredible chance to equalise in the last minute when Issa Diop headed wide.

Antonio is the first opposition player to score at the Etihad since November

AFP

Antonio is the first opposition player to score at the Etihad since November

More to follow…

Source: Read Full Article

Cristiano Ronaldo has been a failure at Juventus, claims Antonio Cassano

Cristiano Ronaldo has just over a year remaining on his current Juventus contract (Picture: Getty)

Juventus were wrong to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and his time in Turin will go do as a failure, unless he wins the Champions League, according to Antonio Cassano.

The former Real Madrid and Manchester United superstar joined the Old Lady in the summer of 2018 and although he has helped Juventus maintain their dominance of Serie A, they have failed to make an impact in Europe.

Juventus were shocked in last season’s competition by Lyon and were beaten by Porto in the first leg of their last 16 tie earlier this month.

Andrea Pirlo’s side are currently eight points behind Serie A leaders Inter and although Cassano believes Ronaldo is not compatible with the style of football is former international teammate is trying to implement.

‘He has another year left in his contract, Juventus signed him to win the Champions League, but they have had worst results since he arrived,’ said Cassano. ‘They would have won Serie A titles also without him. It was the wrong project.

Cristiano Ronaldo failed to score in Juventus' defeat against Porto

Cristiano Ronaldo failed to score in Juventus’ defeat against Porto (Picture: Getty)

‘For 120 years, winning was the only thing that mattered at Juventus. It is still an obligation, but they tried to change their skin with Sarri and Andrea [Pirlo].

‘Ronaldo has nothing to do with Pirlo’s ideas. He will carry on scoring because he can do it even sitting. He cuts inside from the left and can destroy the goal and his headers are unique.

‘Andrea wants to build the action from the back, he wants to press high on the pitch. Ronaldo can decide games, but he doesn’t participate much.

‘I think he did badly in these years unless they manage to win the Champions League.’


MORE : ‘If you ask me, Messi or Ronaldo, I’d say Ramos’ – Eric Bailly gives alternative response to all-time great debate


MORE : Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel rates Kylian Mbappe’s chances of surpassing Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo

General Sport

Source: Read Full Article